Monday, May 18, 2009

Who is Miss Cafe?

I was born and raised in Miami, FL - aka little Latin America. Growing up, all my friends were Hispanic. Some were born in the US, some were immigrants. I learned Spanish at home and English at school. I call my mom, Mami and dad, Papi. And when I talk to them on the phone, I always chat in Spanish - especially when I'm at work. Is that rude? I sometimes do this in front of Mr. Techy, too - but he knows I just can't help it, it's natural.

When asked where I'm from, I always say South America, though my mom corrects me and says, "You're American." I hadn't met an American (non Latino roots) until I started college and befriended a girl, who till this day, is one of my best friends. The funny thing is, she's more Hispanic than American. She dates Latinos, learned Spanish, and loves rice and beans.

I'm so drawn to Hispanics, they are like comfort food. Whenever I meet a Latino, we immediately have that connection. The, "I get you," connection.

Ironically, Mr. Techy is American and it has been fascinating learning about his culture, traditions and colloquial sayings. Honestly, I didn't know what "Pie in the Sky" or "Off the Cuff" meant until recently.

But I'm slowly rubbing off on him and his family. He is attempting Spanish - he's mastered all the bad words, and some conversational phrases. However, he better not intertwine them when meeting my family at the wedding.

Saludos,

Miss Cafe

0 comments:

Post a Comment