Friday, May 29, 2009

Culture Shock

Before introducing Mr. Techy to my family, I needed to mentally prepare him (and pray, a lot). I insisted he watch My Big Fat Greek Wedding for a preview of the type of family he would hopefully be marrying into - if he ever recovered from the culture shock.


Mr. Techy comes from a relatively small Irish-American family. He's from upstate NY where everyone knows their neighbors' name (I don't, do you?), Ma and Pa stores are still open for business, and his senior class totalled 151 students, (that's about the size of my mom's side of the family.) In other words, he's used to a low-key and quiet lifestyle.

Cue in the big, fat, Hispanic family.

My family is everything but low-key and quiet. First of all, they talk over each other. They can juggle at least 3 conversations at the same time without missing a punchline. As the night progresses their voices get louder and louder, because I guess drinking makes you hard of hearing? "Family" gatherings consists of grandparents, cousins, uncles, friends, friends of the family, friends of friends, children, out-of-town guests, in-laws, coworkers and bosses. And that is just for a bbq. Imagine the holidays.

How our families differ:
  • Mine live within a mile radius of each other; His family lives miles apart.
  • My family starts Christmas dinner at midnight; His family's done eating by 2pm.
  • My family brings alcohol to every occasion (even to a kiddie's birthday party); His family has soda.
  • My mom is 1 of 10 siblings; His mother is 1 of 4.
  • My family knows who's where and with whom; Half his family doesn't know where we live.
  • News spreads faster in my family than media alerts from PR Newswire; His family can go days without talking to eachother.
  • Even if you are full, my family insists you eat more and will send you home with a doggy bag with weeks worth of food; His family takes no for an answer.
But despite all the cultural differences, the Miller and Portokalous family put aside their quirks and just danced. And I know ours will too.

What movie/sitcom exemplifies your family?

Saludos!

Miss Cafe

1 comment:

  1. Hey, another Latina here! My family is also like "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"! Everything you had mentioned in this post had me cracking up because that is exactly what my PR family is like versus my gringo's family...

    Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete