Friday, May 22, 2009

To Be or Not To Be - On Time

My friends and family are known to arrive late to everything. My sister was late to her own wedding, and my friends miss their flights. In Miami, this is known as, "running on Cuban time." I'm not that innocent either - I tend be late, too. So you can understand my reservation about printing the real time of the ceremony on the wedding invitations versus a fake time.

I'm toying with the idea of saying the ceremony is half an hour earlier than scheduled. So rather than a 3pm ceremony it would say 2:30. Here's my only problem - Mr. Techy's family is ALWAYS punctual! Every year, we're the last to arrive for Easter Dinner.

His entire guest list consists of out-of-towners and since they're staying in hotels near the ceremony/reception, they'll be at the church -- on the time. Mine are all local, and leave their houses at the last possible second assuming they can make it anywhere in 10 minutes.

So here are my options:
  • Be hopeful, print the real time and risk that guests enter the church during the ceremony - or heaven forbid, walk down the aisle with me!
  • Fib, say it's 30 minutes earlier and have the punctual guests wait, wondering if I got cold feet
  • Meet in the middle and say it's 15 minutes earlier. Those on time will wait just a tidbit and those running late will have some wiggle room

I'm still debating so in the meantime tell me - What would you/did you do? How was the turnout?

Saludos!

Miss Cafe

1 comment:

  1. Miss Cafe,
    It's not just "Cuban time"! It's "Mexican time" too! I worried about the same thing 5 years ago as well! My Argentina best friend said I had to print the real time. It is courteous to your padrecito, the Mariachi, and your friends who are on time always. Talk to your family and have them spread the word that you really, really want everyone to be on time!
    Love your blog,
    Betty
    http://bettyinasia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete