Thursday, June 4, 2009

Home is where the heart is

I'm going home to Miami tonight (yay!) to tie up some loose wedding ends. Like other brides, I have a LONG to-do list, but only have 96 hours to get it all done. Each second of my time has been strategically scheduled and places have been plotted on a Google map, with minimal breaks and many fast-food stops – Ladies, this is NOT a vacation (booooo!).


Planning a wedding remotely is not easy. It’s a fulltime job. When Mr. Techy and I first moved in together, I offered to be a stay-at-home girlfriend. Of course, Mr. Techy said he needed a little more commitment from me first. So I then offered to be a stay-at-home fiancĂ© and plan the wedding, to no avail. It does sound pretty tempting though, huh?


I’ve been living in New York for almost four years (June 19 is my anniversary!) and continue to refer to Miami as home. It is and will always be. A foundation makes a house, family and friends make a home. I’ve been fortunate enough to have a wonderful relationship with Mr. Techy’s family; they help fill the void between visits to Miami. They live about an hour away so we don’t get to see them as much, but I always look forward to visiting. They’ve opened up their home as if I were one of their own. It’s made being away from my family a little easier to handle.


I’m very independent. I’ve always been. I couldn’t wait for the day I’d be on my own. Don’t get me wrong, my parents aren't overly invasive or strict. But I just needed to be on my own. There’s something so empowering about financially supporting myself, learning to survive and handling situations on my own that I would probably be sheltered from in the comfort of my parent’s house. I refused to move out of their house to then move in with a roommate or a boyfriend.


Living alone was not easy and glamorous. But it really helped me build a lot of character and thick skin. It's also helped me appreciate my parents, a lot more than I already did. I knew that if I survived living on my own, I could do anything! Even plan a "destinational" wedding.


Saludos!

Miss Café

0 comments:

Post a Comment